ONLINE ADVERTISING = PRECISION MARKETING
Digital advertising is all about routing the right ads to the right audiences.
Today’s businesses have many options when it comes to broadcasting their messages online. Organic tactics such as content marketing, SEO and social media marketing are effective methods that have their place in the digital marketing tool chest. When you need results fast it’s often best to try the direct approach. That’s where pay per click enters the equation. If content marketing is analogous to word-of-mouth advertising, pay per click is akin to erecting a billboard that’s seen by potentially millions of people…, but just the people you choose.
Let’s try that again. Pay-per-click is like a billboard that:
- Only appears to people who you want to see it. Maybe it just appears to women over the age of 55 who live in Grand Junction.
- Only costs when people actually act on it. If people just look at your ad, there is no charge.
- You can track performance down to a phone call, appointment, sales leads, or reservation.
- You can make it more effective overtime. Find the best ads, display times, locations. Cut the waste and watch ROI soar.
- Can follow people as they move from one place to another.
- Can stop following people who become customers.
- Schedule to show by minute, hour, or day of the week, and a thousand other features that a billboard can’t do.
What Is Pay Per Click?
Simply put, pay per click marketing allows companies of all sizes to buy ad space by bidding for prominent placement in search engine results and on other websites. When a consumer enters a keyword-based query into Google’s search bar, they get a list of organic results. Conspicuously located at the top of the page are paid ads. When someone clicks on one of those ads, the advertiser pays a fee based on the relative popularity of the keywords involved. Display or banner ads that appear on websites go through a similar bidding process.
Quantifying the Benefits of PPC
There are several powerful reasons why pay per click such as Google’s Adwords has become such a popular form of advertising on the web in the past decade. For one, it enables businesses to quickly scale up their operations and attract new customers overnight. Depending on your budget, your PPC ads can potentially reach millions of consumers every day. Furthermore, PPC advertising allows brands to accurately target lucrative, highly specific demographics and dominate market niches. Most importantly, PPC can help businesses to maximize online advertising ROI.